Today, mobile devices are integrated into nearly every aspect of our daily lives. In fact, research shows that “by 2020, more people will own a phone than have electricity.”
Think back to the last time you didn’t have a smartphone, tablet or other mobile device with you. Can’t remember? And how often have you used your phone for work? Probably more often than you think.
We’ve gathered 11 statistics to show how mobile is changing the way we work in today’s economy.
1. On average, about 81% of adults in the United States have smartphones, and those phones are used on average about one hour and 39 minutes per day to consume media.
2. Cellphone users touch their phones approximately 2,617 times in a day.
3. iPhone users unlock their phones 80 times per day which is an average of about six to seven times each hour.
4. In an average day, 40% of people use only their smartphone to perform an online search because it meets their immediate needs.
5. Millennials beat all other age groups for smartphone ownership (77%), as well as time spent on them (over two hours per day).
6. 39% of millennials interact more with their smartphones than lovers, parents, friends, children, or co-workers.
7. Smartphones are used daily by 87% of millennials.
8. Generation X also has a big daily smartphone usage — 60% to be exact.
9. Almost a fifth of time spent consuming digital media is for social networking, and 61% of these occurrences happen through a smartphone app.
10. 75% percent of U.S. users download at least one app daily.
11. 28% of Americans use a smartphone in their job search, and half of them filled out a job application from their phone.
Given these statistics, mobile is clearly here to stay. And your mobile device is no longer just for phone calls, but a tool for making our everyday lives easier. Think about often you catch a ride, look up directions, or check your bank account on a mobile device. Having these resources in the palm of your hand can be an instant time saver.
This push toward convenience and flexibility is what the gig economy is embracing: the accessibility and convenience of mobile devices. It’s using mobile to make connections and provide a reachable resource for employment — not just for individual use, but for businesses to use as well. For example, platforms like Shiftgig help connect millions of workers with millions of shifts all through the convenience of an app.
With new mobile technology appearing every day, there is no limit to what will be possible with smartphones in the future. And the integration of mobile within the gig economy for employment has only started, showing no signs of stopping.
Are you always connected? Share with us in the comments below how mobile has impacted the way you work.
Start building your on-demand marketplace platform.